Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Todays baking

*****EDITED TO ADD BAGEL RECIPE LINK*****

This afternoon/evening I made my staple bread for the next few days. I *LOVE* my bread machines :) yes, I said machines. I have had one since '98 but it is starting to sound elderly. My aunt was giving away hers because she never uses it. It is basically the same model as mine but newer with a couple more settings. So I have 2. And it makes me fancy.
Today I started my wheat bread in the afternoon right before I put Elijah down for a nap. After he was asleep I started some whole wheat cinnamon, dried cranberry, and raisin bagels. After the dough for the bagels was ready I took it out and made 6 bagel shapes, boiled and then baked them. I got a bit of crocheting done while the bagel dough was kneading too :) I started the 2nd batch of bagels soon after the others were finished, plain whole wheat bagels. They are all really yummy :) the colors are a bit off. My cell phone takes really crappy pictures.
********************
Here is the link to the bagel recipe I use. I had no idea it would still be online. I printed it in 1998! http://www.vegweb.com/index.php?topic=5812.0
If you don't have a bread machine I figure you could still make em. My machine's dough cycle kneads for 22 mins, lts rise for 58 mins, then kneads for another 16 seconds. I freakin love this recipe :)

7 comments:

Auroras_Garden said...

I havent had a good bagel in ages...I should make my own like you do. I need a bread machine! I should go buy one, I didnt realize how handy they was till now. You made some fine looking bread too!

Justine said...

I made some bagels yesterday, too! I just rolled them into balls and stuck my finger thru the middle--widening the opening by slinging it around a couple times. Seemed easier, and I didn't feel like clearing off the counter!!! I brushed the tops with some heavy cream about 3 minutes before I pulled them out of the oven. Dee-lish!

Lana said...

YuMMY!! Crappy pictures?? I think not.. They still look super tastey.. Is there a special recipe for bagels? I have 2 machines too. LOVE THEM!!

tree said...

Yum! i used to make bagels quite a bit, although i haven't in a while. i just got a recipe for english muffins that i can't wait to try.

Everything looks great! i gave my bread machine away, i'd much rather make it by hand. It's a good way to relieve stress...beating it down. hee hee.

Unknown said...

Sounds super delicious!! Say, can you just come over and make them for me? *smiles*

Some old bee-yatch said...

Yummy!

greencocoon said...

ooo those look so good! I've gotten back into making bread every week now that it's cold again. I may have to try bagel this week!!!